Posts Tagged ‘alcohol poisoning’

Aalcoholchangesyoulcohol can be a deceptively dangerous drug. Because it is legal to drink at 21 in the U.S., and alcohol is so easily purchased, teens and adults can swiftly become addicted to it. Alcohol dependence can come with some very unpleasant side effects and consequences. Today on the blog, we’re sharing 5 of the scariest alcohol facts.

1) Alcohol poisoning — an overdose on alcohol in a very short period of time — can kill you even if you do receive immediate medical attention.

2) It is extremely difficult to overcome alcoholism once it is developed. However with professional help and support from wise friends, it is achievable.

3) Prolonged alcohol use can lead to the development of a host of mental and physical illnesses including cancer, depression, and liver disease.

4) Drinking while pregnant can lead to fetal alcohol syndrome.

5) Alcohol abuse can lead to violent behavior and can result in rape, murder, and other horrific acts.

Want to connect with Rethink the Drink? Check us out on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram, and our CPMA Website! “Like” us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Pinterest to show your pledge to rethink the drink.

Advertisements

ce198-istheredangerinwithdrawalfromalcohol252candwhat252cexactly252cisalcoholwithdrawalDid you know that alcohol poisoning kills an average of 6 people a day?

 

CNN released an article on Wednesday that talked about the dangerous effects of alcohol poisoning and the group most likely to die of alcohol poisoning. No matter what your age, gender, or life experience, alcohol poisoning is preventable. Rethink the drink!

Want to connect with Rethink the Drink? Check us out on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram, and our CPMA Website! “Like” us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Pinterest to show your pledge to rethink the drink.

Alcohol Poisoning

Posted: November 7, 2014 by cpmacartersville in alcohol awareness
Tags: ,

This video from “The Doctors” on YouTube illustrates the dangers of alcohol poisoning and why it is so, so important to drink responsibly as an adult and to avoid alcohol if you’re underage!

If you are a parent looking to take our survey, click here.

Want to connect with Rethink the Drink? Check us out on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram, and our CPMA Website! “Like” us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Pinterest to show your pledge to rethink the drink.

As mentioned in our last two posts (here and here), April is Alcohol Awareness Month! Today, we’re going to explore the scary topic of Alcohol Poisoning. What exactly is Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is a serious — and sometimes deadly — consequence of drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. Drinking too much too quickly can affect your breathing, heart rate, body temperature and gag reflex and potentially lead to coma and death. (Mayo Clinic)

Many teens and adults think it’s amusing to “pass out” after drinking too much, but many of them do not realize how completely dangerous and reckless that is!! If a person passes out from drinking, most likely they are in danger of alcohol poisoning. The symptoms of alcohol poisoning are:

>> Mental confusion, stupor, coma, or person cannot be roused.
>> Vomiting.
>> Seizures.
>> Slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per minute).
>> Irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths).
>> Hypothermia (low body temperature), bluish skin color, paleness.

(From College Drinking Prevention)

Remember, Alcohol Poisoning could have devastating consequences and even lead to death! What should you do if you suspect you or a friend is suffering from Alcohol Poisoning?

“The National Health Service (NHS), UK, says that if you believe somebody is suffering from alcohol poisoning you should call for an ambulance, and provide the following assistance until it arrives:
>> Try to keep the individual awake
>> Try to keep them in a sitting position, not lying down
>> If they are able to take it, give them water
>> If the person is unconscious put them in the recovery position and check they are breathing
>> Don’t give them coffee, it will worsen their dehydration
>> Do not lie them on their back
>> Do not give them any more alcohol to drink
>> Do not make them walk”

(From Medical News Today)

Drinking to drunkenness is never a good idea, especially if done in a very short amount of time as it can lead to the very scary condition mentioned throughout this article! Rethink the drink and find safe ways to celebrate and have fun with your friends!

Want to connect with Rethink the Drink? Check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and our CPMA Website! “Like” us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Pinterest to show your pledge to rethink the drink.

What exactly is alcohol poisoning? Why is it a big deal? Today’s Health Spotlight is going to shed some light on this subject.

Alcohol Poisoning // A serious and sometimes deadly consequence of drinking excessive amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. Breathing, heart rate, body temperature, and the body’s gag reflex can all be affected which can lead to coma or death.

Because alcohol depresses many of the body’s natural processes, it can cause breathing to slow down. Alcohol can irritate the stomach, causing the drinker to vomit. If too much alcohol has been consumed and breathing and gag reflex are hindered, the person can aspirate on their own vomit, causing them to choke and die.

When a person is suffering from alcohol poisoning, the BAC (blood alcohol content) is toxic and poisonous to the body. The drinker’s liver cannot properly process all the alcohol being consumed (due to the large amount in such a short period of time), so the extra ends up traveling through the drinker’s blood stream, causing the negative bodily effects outlined above.

Signs of Alcohol Poisoning //

1. Confusion

2. Hypothermia (the drinker’s body temperature drops rapidly)

3. Pale, bluish skin

4. Drinker is unresponsive, but conscious

5. Drinker passes out

6. Very slow breathing

7 Vomiting

Extreme Signs //

8. Heart attack

9. Aspiration of vomit

10. Seizures (due to rapidly dropping blood glucose levels)

11. Breathing may stop altogether

12. Extreme dehydration

As you can tell from these signs, alcohol poisoning is nothing to play around with and it can be hard to tell if a drinker is merely drunk or is suffering from early stages of alcohol poisoning.

If you suspect that one of your friends is suffering from any of these symptoms, immediately call for emergency medical help and have them taken to the hospital. Alcohol poisoning CAN and DOES lead to death in most cases if left untreated.

Helpful Sources // Mayo Clinic / Medical News Today /