Beware of Alcohol Poisoning!

Posted: April 7, 2014 by cpmacartersville in Parents, Resources, Teens, Useful Information
Tags: , , , , ,

As mentioned in our last two posts (here and here), April is Alcohol Awareness Month! Today, we’re going to explore the scary topic of Alcohol Poisoning. What exactly is Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is a serious — and sometimes deadly — consequence of drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time. Drinking too much too quickly can affect your breathing, heart rate, body temperature and gag reflex and potentially lead to coma and death. (Mayo Clinic)

Many teens and adults think it’s amusing to “pass out” after drinking too much, but many of them do not realize how completely dangerous and reckless that is!! If a person passes out from drinking, most likely they are in danger of alcohol poisoning. The symptoms of alcohol poisoning are:

>> Mental confusion, stupor, coma, or person cannot be roused.
>> Vomiting.
>> Seizures.
>> Slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per minute).
>> Irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths).
>> Hypothermia (low body temperature), bluish skin color, paleness.

(From College Drinking Prevention)

Remember, Alcohol Poisoning could have devastating consequences and even lead to death! What should you do if you suspect you or a friend is suffering from Alcohol Poisoning?

“The National Health Service (NHS), UK, says that if you believe somebody is suffering from alcohol poisoning you should call for an ambulance, and provide the following assistance until it arrives:
>> Try to keep the individual awake
>> Try to keep them in a sitting position, not lying down
>> If they are able to take it, give them water
>> If the person is unconscious put them in the recovery position and check they are breathing
>> Don’t give them coffee, it will worsen their dehydration
>> Do not lie them on their back
>> Do not give them any more alcohol to drink
>> Do not make them walk”

(From Medical News Today)

Drinking to drunkenness is never a good idea, especially if done in a very short amount of time as it can lead to the very scary condition mentioned throughout this article! Rethink the drink and find safe ways to celebrate and have fun with your friends!

Want to connect with Rethink the Drink? Check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and our CPMA Website! “Like” us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Pinterest to show your pledge to rethink the drink.

Advertisements
Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s